** PLEASE AVOID THE USE OF ALCOHOL FOR 24 HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR PROCEDURE**
1 day before the procedure
- No solid food to eat after 6:00 pm. You may have a small amount of clear liquid up to 3 hours prior to your EGD.
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours before your procedure.
On the day of the procedure
- You may have a small amount of clear liquid up to 3 hours prior to your EGD. Acceptable clear liquids are chicken broth, apple juice, coffee/tea (no cream), Jell-O (no red or orange).
- Please do not chew gum 3 hours prior to your procedure.
- MEDICATIONS: Please take any essential medications such as heart, blood pressure, asthma, or seizure medications with water in the morning of your exam.
- You will need to arrange for a ride home after the procedure from a friend or family member. We do not allow rides from public transportation due to concerns for your safety.
Prior to the procedure, please do the following:
- Be sure your check your email (and spam folders) for a message with a link to our online patient portal. Follow the instructions in this email to complete your patient health history. This step is essential in order for us to ensure excellent care. If you do not have access to the internet, a nurse will be calling you a few days prior to your procedure to go over your health history.
- If you have a new medical diagnosis or become ill between now and your scheduled procedure, please call us so we can evaluate a possible need to reschedule.
Please bring the following:
- Insurance Cards and Photo ID
- Medication List
**WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU LEAVE ALL VALUABLES AT HOME**